Week 5 Storytelling: Rama and The Bridge

 

Author: AKS.9955, Date: 07/11/15, Description: Varuna, Link

    The battle is about to begin. The stage for the climax of the war is set. Only a river separates Rama from his end-game goal; killing Ravana and getting his wife back. The river is flowing rapidly, surely anybody that attempts to cross it will be washed away. Rama and his generals decide to spend the night camping by the river, thinking of a solution of how to cross the river. 

    Soon after, the next morning approaches. Rama sees that the river is still flowing heavily. Frustrated with the situation, he asks for an emergency council with the generals within his army. Soon after his announcement, all the generals are brought to Rama and the planning talks.

    "We need to cross this river no matter what. If we fail here, I will have everybody's heads as punishment. I am willing to sacrifice anything, and I mean anything if it means that I am able to cross this river. Do you understand what I am saying?" - Rama.

    Hearing this, the generals began to fear for their lives. Rama was clearly lost in his rage. They could see the blood lust in his eyes. The innocent Rama that they once knew was gone, his former self was lost to anger. At first, the generals could not come up with anything plausible. They decided to do the stereotypical thing and sacrifice something to the river god in order to appease him. 

    The generals decided to choose one unlucky person to be the sacrifice this time. They chose a random monkey soldier and without hesitation, grabbed him and tied him up. They then threw the monkey into the river, ending his life in the process. 

    Minutes passed, but the river's flow stayed the same. It had appeared that sacrifice was in vain. After seeing their failure, Rama went into a vengeful being. He summoned all of the generals and decided to do it his own way. After the generals were lined up, Rama beheaded one of them and threw the slain body into the river. The river was stained red with the blood of the two bodies. 

    Soon, the army heard an annoyed voice come from the river.

"Why did you just throw two dead bodies into my river? I don't understand your thought process. Did you ever think that maybe it was a good idea to just ask me to calm the river down so you could cross? Now I have to deal with two dead bodies ruining my beautiful river because of you. You're lucky that the gods decided to support you, otherwise I would have never helped you out."

    Everybody was shocked when they heard the river god, Varuna, speak. Nobody was able to say anything in response and Rama shrugged his shoulders. Instantly, a bridge appeared out of thin air. Rama and the army continued their march to Ravana's city. 

    Authors Note: I wanted to write a story about the bridge crossing situation that happened in the epic. I found it funny that Rama decided that it was a good idea to shoot arrows into the river in order to ask the god to help him out. 


Comments

  1. Hi Brandon,

    I like how in your story, you make Rama seem more like a bad guy that everyone is afraid of. Sending bodies into a river definitely sends a stronger message than arrows in my opinion. I wonder how would Ravana be portrayed in this type of story and how would Sita would feel about Rama's actions? Is Ravana even more of a bad guy? Would Sita forgive Rama, or did she run away from him? I think you should also add more insight as to why the generals would still help Rama considering how he just killed one of them. What prevents them from just running away or even supporting Ravana instead? Also, why did Varuna wait for the second body instead of confronting Rama about the first one? I think your story in interesting so far, but maybe you could expand it or make a part two that could answer some of these questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandon!

    To be completely honest, I much rather read this version of the story rather than the source story. You did a great job adding in the details so that the reader is able to feel Rama's emotions during this event. I also think it was pretty funny how Rama would shoot arrows into the river. I like how you added in the monkey sacrifice to show how serious the event was as well. I would try to add the fact that the across the river was Lanka, or Sri Lanka. This would just help add a little bit more reality to the story, like the original source story did. Overall, Great Job! Your writing style is definitely on the road to success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Brandon! I really dig the way you wrote this piece. It is really fun and easy to read, which made it easily absorbable for me! I was able to keep a good image in my mind throughout, which means I believe you did an excellent job in your conveyance of the story, and the structure. I also like how you changed some of the scene to add a more comedic element to the whole situation, it makes sense that Rama's actions would lead to those consequences!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts