Feedback Strategies

    File:Staff meeting.jpg

Author: Scoble, Robert. Date: 02/15/08, Description: Picture of people in a meeting, Link

How to Provide Great Feedback When You're Not in Charge

    The first article that I read was this one. I was curious because I also have a hard time being able to give feedback to people when I am not in a position of power. As stated in the article, I learned that there are three types of feedback; appreciation, advice, and evaluation. I learned that you're supposed to use the three different ones in specific scenarios. You're supposed to use appreciation to motivate people, advice to improve performance, and only evaluate when it is needed. Perhaps the most important tip that I got from this article was the fact that you're supposed to take the fall. That means that you're supposed to be the first one to get criticism or feedback so it can open the floor for other people. 

Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback

    The second article I read was about trying to change the whole concept of feedback to make it more impactful and positive. The article is based on an experiment that happened. The article gives us 11 different reasons as to why we should try to use feedforward instead of feedback. A couple of reasons caught my attention. The first one was that we change the future and not the past. A lot of people put themselves down after they make a big mistake, but I feel like it is better for them to use it as a learning experience rather than a crutch. The second one that caught my eye was that feedforward can come from anybody who knows about the task. This one stood out to me because if people follow this one, they are allowed to give feedback to people even if they aren't working on the task at hand. I find it nice to get feedback from people who aren't actively involved in the working process of a problem. 

Comments

Popular Posts